This article answers the question on whether inbound faxes can be redirected to a network folder and also provides a workaround to continue receiving faxes in scenarios where FaxMaker Online was configured to send faxes to a 3rd party system (e.g. Allscripts EHR) which becomes unavailable.
The only supported methods for receiving inbound faxes are by Email or through Inbound Web Services APIs through which 3rd party systems can download faxes directly from FaxMaker Online. Some third-party systems may provide support for depositing inbounds faxes to a network folder through the same APIs but the actual configuration will depend on the external systems which is outside our support scope. APIs GFI FaxMaker Online Provides for Your Applications has full documentation on the APIs available for inbound and outbound usage.
When third-party systems such as Allscripts EHR are configured to receive faxes directly from FaxMaker Online through the Inbound Web Services (IWS) API, it is imperative for the 3rd party system to be available and reachable by Faxmaker Online for this integration to work.
Inbound faxes will not be received in the 3rd party system if it goes down for any reason therefore to continue receiving faxes when an outage affecting the 3rd party system occurs, the Fax receiving settings should be configured to Receive fax using email by following these steps:
- Log in to the FaxMaker Online Administrator Portal.
- Click on the Settings icon then select Users
- From the Users pane on the left, locate the FaxMaker Online user that has been configured to receive faxes through API. For more information refer to Credentials to be used for Receiving Faxes through Inbound Web Services.
- Click on the gear icon beside the username and select Edit User.
- From the Fax receiving settings section, select Receive fax using email from the dropdown and click on the Add Email button to add the email address(es) that should now receive inbound fax.
- Save the configuration changes.
Once the 3rd party system becomes available again, you can revert the Fax receiving settings to the original configuration to resume delivery of inbound faxes to the 3rd party system.
Send an inbound test fax and confirm that it is now received in the Email address configured above.