When a fax request is sent from the GFI FaxMaker Fax Message Form using HTTPS as the connection type, the following error is encountered:
'An error was encountered while sending the fax. Error: C-0017 - Unspecified error. Failed to connect to GFI FaxMaker Online.'
This article provides information on how to resolve this issue.
This error can be encountered in the following scenarios:
- No data is detected for the cover page. Hence fax request is rejected.
- The client application (GFI FaxMaker Fax Message Form) is unable to reach the GFI FaxMaker Online WebService due to a known DNS configuration issue
Follow these steps to resolve the issue:
- Log into GFI FaxMaker Online Dashboard using an Administrator account.
- Navigate to Settings > Users and select a user account to be configured
- Under the Coverpage tab for the user, change the Coverpage settings to 'Automatic Coverpages' and save changes. This should resolve the error if the root cause was the first scenario described above, otherwise proceed to step 4. In the meantime, you can still use your email to send faxes as described in Sending Faxes From Your Email Using FaxMaker Online.
- On rare occasions, DNS resolution failure in the hosting infrastructure can also cause the C-0017 error. A temporary workaround to restore faxing would be to add the below entry to the
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hostsfile on the computer from which you are sending the faxes then change the Connection Settings on the client application (accessed through View > Options) to send faxes through SMTP rather than HTTPS as shown below.
- Report the issue by opening a support request for a permanent resolution by submitting a support request with GFI FaxMaker Online Support.
Once the above changes are done, send a test fax and confirm successful transmission and delivery to the intended recipient without any errors.